Monday, September 9, 2013

Let me save you the trouble

When I was a little girl on an airplane for my umpteenth time there is a story about my.... abruptness.  It goes something like this:

The flight attendant is going around and talking with the kids on the plane, asking their names, how old they are, how they're doing and if they've flown before.  Apparently, by the time she got to me I had heard her spiel a few times and before she even got past "Hi!" I said, "I'm Megan, I'm 2, I'm fine, and I've flown before" and continued about my business.  My understanding is that the flight attendant was a bit taken aback.

Apparently 20 some odd years later (okay, okay, 28 years later, but who's counting?) I feel the need to essentially be that same snotty 2 year old.  I would like to wear a sign that says the following:

"6 months; no he's not; thanks, we think so too."  Because I think I am a bit of a record on repeat as the same things are almost always the start of a conversation.
  • "How old is he?"
  • "Is he sleeping through the night?"
  • "He's so cute!"
I don't think you can run into any stranger friendly parent/person that doesn't strike up conversation in almost that exact same rhythm.  Mind you, I don't have a problem discussing the lack of sleep I'm still suffering, I love strangers telling me my little boy is cute (who doesn't?) but I feel like if I were to wear the sign at least, it would get us past those intro questions and on to more important discussions like the color of your baby's poo, milestones, and whether you think going dairy free really helps.  Maybe I'm just bitter and irritable because I'm not sleeping through the night or because I'm not able to comfort myself with cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! I know the lack of sleep well. Unfortunately I went without and uninterrupted nights sleep for over a year after Ari was born. Ryko was so much different. I was not nearly as sleep deprived with him. I send uninterrupted nights sleep vibes through the universe straight to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, it's DEFINITELY because you can't comfort yourself with cheese. That's it;)

    ReplyDelete