Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Short Update

This is just a short update to give a picture of the crib and another print that I purchased a few weeks ago that came back from the framer.  I've been a little behind where I was hoping to be in updating on my blog, but work has been a bit insane and of course I do love to just throw in way too much life "stuff" - like Drinksgiving for 20+ of our closest friends, a concert, birthday celebrations, holiday parties... the usual.  Tonight is the first night I haven't had something planned since last Monday, and I'm loving it.  I have to work of course, but at least that's the only thing I have planned, other than relaxing and possibly falling asleep on the couch.  


I bought this at the Renegade Holiday Market.  It's essentially the Chicago skyline on a bookshelf, where the titles of the books are the names of the buildings.  I'm pretty excited about it.



And our crib!  We moved it around about 3 dozen times, and think right now that this is the best use of the space in the room.  We have the "Eat Well; Travel Often" hung right above.  I have pictures, but not on my phone of course.  So I'll have to post a few more (and be as repetitive as possible).

I'm holding off on any other prints for a while - mainly because we don't have a whole lot of room in our little nursery, and especially because we don't have a lot of wall space.  I'm also a little bit nervous that if I get too many (like I would love to do) then it will start to turn into wallpaper.  Our next steps are getting a dresser, registering, and getting a rug.  So we are starting to narrow it down.

Otherwise, all seems to be going well.  I had my end of week 28/start of week 29 appointment last Friday.  Heartbeat was still strong in the 140's, everything seems to be going well from what my doctor could tell.  So that was good.  

One thing that I find frustrating right now, and nerve-wracking, is that he's really slowed down on the movement front over the last week/week and a half.  I used to feel like my belly was trying to escape from my body, and now there are times when I don't know for sure that he's actually there.  So maybe he's just starting to sleep during all the times that I'm awake and only move at night or when I'm not paying attention?  But it's a little worrisome.  My doctor said not to freak out about movement until week 30, that's when she wants me to focus on the counts and all that jazz.  I find that to be good advice (the not worry or freak out part) but geez, it's impossible to follow.  Any tips out there?  I tried some juice this morning, I'm drinking a ton of water. But he's still a little bit stagnant these days.  I'm trying to avoid calling my doctor since I go back to see her in 8 days - and I really don't think there is anything to worry about, especially since I saw her 5 days ago and everything looked good.  

I leave for KC on Friday, back on Tuesday.  That will be a nice little break.  Going to be a little crazy to be around all my family - but definitely looking forward to it!  Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on a LITTLE bit of sleep, although I kind of doubt it.  

And just another thought -- I seriously underestimated the intelligence of men apparently when creating a maternity policy... I like to think that they are smart/sensible people who run my company - but apparently the idea that I would be out for 12 weeks was completely lost on them.  All I can say is "wow".... But hopefully with a little prodding from me, they'll come to see the errors of their ways.  Until then I keep sending them emails about various other engineering company policies that all essentially say the same thing.  I have 80 days (to due date at least) to have them figure this shiznit out.  Cross fingers that at least they decide to meet the minimum instead of their current idea of 2 paid days, then borrowing vacation for the rest or taking unpaid...... (I did realize though that apparently my boss didn't realize that I would be out for 12 weeks, so he figured apparently that I would only need to borrow a couple of weeks of vacation because I would be back in about 3-4 weeks....really?)  My first question should have been "did you show your wives this policy"... I didn't ask that.  I did ask important questions like - how long is my job guaranteed, will I continue to get my benefits while I'm on leave, will you enact short term disability... all the things that I figured they had looked into.  Apparently "google" is lost on them?  I might have chosen an interesting time to work for a company that is exempt from FMLA.

No comments:

Post a Comment