Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Miracles

Just a quick post to show a couple of pictures mainly.  Christmas came and went so quickly, it barely feels like it was here.  I flew out on Friday night with only a slight delay, John flew out on Saturday night with the exact same delay.  All in all, it was a fun trip.

My cousins and I did cookies Saturday morning - a family tradition.  The older cousins help the younger cousins roll and cut sugar cookies and then decorate.  We did a few less this year, which is the way to go because many of the younger kids get tired and eventually wander off.  We'll be adding another to the mix next year -- he'll be even less interested than the 7 year old... ha. 

Sunday my dad and I did our annual present trek while John went to Arrowhead Stadium with my uncle and cousin to check out the Chiefs.  If nothing else, he got to see another stadium!  And they were the early game, which meant that he and my Uncle John were able to make it back to the house to catch the beginning of the Bear's game which is all they were really concerned with.  (With a nice little stop over at Gates BBQ -- one of my favorite places on earth)

Sunday is our big family gathering and present opening.  I was terrible and didn't get any pictures of the craziness that ensues -- to give a brief idea, there are 11 (??) kids under 18 in the family... most of which are under 10.  So it becomes a little bit of a madhouse.  But, as they get older the easier it gets to go through everyone.  I brought my dad up to the current century with a digital camera this year.  I thought it was time for him to join the digital age, especially with a grandson on the way!  (Christmas Miracle #1)

My talented and beautiful cousin did my eye make-up for me, so I actually showed up to Christmas with more than just mascara on.  (Christmas Miracle #2)


Our last picture just to the two of us!  Yikes....
 
Christmas day we travel back home to Chicago.  There was no blizzard this year so we didn't have to go with our fall back of my dad driving us back.. a welcome relief to this pregnant lady who probably would have made the 9 hour drive turn into 12 with the various stops I would have had to make.  
The big news of the weekend --- Katie and Marla got engaged!!!  Marla proposed on Christmas morning.  She made a great video of pictures of the two of them with the tune of "Marry Me"... I think everyone cried.  John and I weren't back yet, but we heard all about it.  (Christmas Miracle #3)  I'm so excited for them!!  What great years 2013 and 2014 will be!  Can't hardly wait..

So that wraps up Christmas.  We had a great time with family, of course it always passes too quickly and I never get enough time -- but it was great to see everyone.  One good thing about this timing (that helps counteract the sadness over missing some of the greatest beer releases of the season) is that I got an "interim" visit with my family..... I didn't just show up the next Christmas with a baby.  I think that would have been a mind trip...  

I hope all had a wonderful and safe holiday!  Can't wait to get this new year started and see what it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment