Wednesday, May 1, 2013

One month in

I can't believe it's been a full month (and at this point, actually longer but I'm a little behind).  Everything has gone so quickly that it's crazy to realize how much has changed.  I see Colin everyday so it's hard for me to see the full effects of time, but looking back at pictures shows me just how crazy big this kid has gotten... and I can look back and remember what it was.  

Where do we stand at one month?  His one month check up put him in at 10 lbs 8 oz and 22.5" long.  For those of you keeping score at home, that means in one month he's gained 2 lbs 9 oz... and grew 1.5".  I don't know much about babies, but that seems fast.  Our pediatrician was a little bit, umm, shocked I guess you could say.  I mentioned that he had been having some issues with some inconsolable crying, and some severe gas.  He just happened to have an "attack" of it right there in the office, which was great to explain what was going on and get some feedback.  Our peds concern was that he was experiencing reflux, since he as gained so much weight (on average 40 grams/day I think he said) he's probably overeating.  I don't know how on EARTH I got one of the few babies on this earth that don't stop when he's full - but it's possible that I did.  Or, I got a baby that just is constantly in a growth spurt.  Either way, it was a rough week for the two of us after that.  I lost some confidence in what I was doing so he cried, which made me cry.. It was rough.  

But, my aunt was in town and we made some big strides!  He took his first bottle.  Woohoo!  I was so incredibly nervous after hearing so many scary stories about babies not taking bottles -- ever.  So, we went for it, and he took it so well!  I was so impressed by him, and so excited.  He spontaneously started rolling himself onto his side, and shimmying himself so that he can rotate in his bassinet.  He's a crazy kid.  

I have to say, he's really cute, but man he's HARD.  He does like to cry, doesn't love to nap so he gets over tired, and I don't know what to do all the time.  But, he will cuddle up and loves his changing pad.  Seriously, he can be so upset but lay him on the changing pad and it just changes his life.  It's great.  

John is still the best at putting him to sleep - I don't know what he does, but he can leave the room with a cranky baby and walk back in however man minutes later with a sleeping one.  It's impressive.

I'll follow up with more later, but here are some pictures.  I'm sure that I have more to share about parenthood, and how it's all going - but that will wait for a more current post.  A couple of them are essentially the same picture, but umm... they have different ways to say 1 month.... and I'm just kind of obsessed with his cuteness.


Not 1 month, but thought I should share a 4 week-er


Had to show his picture with Mr McGibblets (see The League to understand)


This one cracks me up because they are both looking in the same direction - and it looks like he's sitting up


Yeah chalkboards!


Some sweet month stickers from our friends Colleen and Jacob


And his tuxedo onesie with his mustache pacifier - a-ma-zing

And there we are.  Let's see how the next 4 weeks go - we're only getting better at this parenting thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment