Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Does it get less awkward?

I realize that I'm an awkward kid.. I get that.  I've always been that way.  I'm the one that after being thanked for throwing a baby shower, respond with "Thank YOU.......... for coming...... to your own shower.... yeah".  But telling people I'm pregnant has got to be one of the WEIRDEST experiences and one of the best ways for me to demonstrate my completely lack of social norms.  

For instance, last Monday, I told a friend of mine from Baker after a meeting for ASCE.  We were talking and just generally chatting about if I was going to meet John at the bar for the Bears game, blah blah blah.  Then I just turned to him and said "do you want to know a fun fact?  You'll be the first at Baker to find out.  John and I are actually expecting a baby in March".  Then the best part, I had to run to the elevator to get my car in the parking garage and he had to run in the train.  So I essentially shared and dashed.  Oops!

Then today, I was telling my co-worker that I was pregnant (they brought in lunch today for our lunch and learn and it was deli sandwiches or a veggie patty...gross) because I was joking around about not being able to eat the deli meat.  After the lunch, I was talking with my co-worker about it a little bit and he asked my due date.  At that moment, the presenter walked up (who I had met an hour previous and only said hello to and shook his hand) and he says "what's happening in March?".  My reply, "well, I'm due in March... I'm pregnant".  Letting that just sit in the air with an incredibly uncomfortable laugh.  He looks up and sheepishly responds "oh geez, nothing like walking into a personal conversation".  I don't have a good retort for that.  Right now, it's nervously laughing while looking around for an exit and filling space with gasps, umms, and uhhs.  Doesn't help alleviate the situation for sure.

Did anyone else have a weird time telling people?  Does it get any easier and less awkward?  Is there a way to announce it instead of throwing it in the middle of an email with a lot of other information around it, hoping that it gets lost in the deluge of other extraneous information that I'm only providing so as to surround the announcement?

Side note - see how many times I used "pregnant" in this piece?  I must be getting a little more comfortable.  I also said it out loud a couple of times in the last couple of days.  Must be sinking in or something.

And now a random photo, just to add something extra to the post.  (And because it's one of the better smiles John has ever had in a photo.)


3 comments:

  1. LOL... I think I'm throwing out the fact that I am going to be a Grandmother, aka GiGi, to whomever will listen... I would shout it from the rooftops if I wasn't so afraid of heights!
    Love... Love... Love our little baby M!
    and Love... Love... Love... You!

    Have fun with it... I sure am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still not really "having fun with it", just hoping that it eventually doesn't sound so foreign. I think that's an achievable goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really felt like it was "personal" information to share. I can see why one would now that it has been put into my mind. Since I didn't think it was weird or personal I guess that would explain why it never felt awkward. Although, I did always hate the early stage of pregnancy where you know random strangers are trying to determine if you are pregnant or just getting a beer gut. ;) I almost wanted to wear a sign that just confirmed it was pregnancy and now I almost want to wear a sign that says "I'm not always this squishy around the middle, I just had a baby!"

    ReplyDelete